3 pounds small red potatoes, washed and dried
1/2 cup plus 1 T olive oil
Kosher salt and pepper
1 T Greek oregano
1 T minced garlic
Preheat oven to 450. Put the potatoes in a roasting pan large enought to hold them in a single layer and roast them until they are jut tender, about 40 to 45 minutes, depending on their size. When the potatoes feel tender, remove the roasting pan from the oven and place it on top of the stove or on another heatproof surface. Using the flat bottom of a sturdy china mup, press down on and flatten each potato, one at a time, right in the roasting pan. A smashed potato should be about 1/2 inch thick. The potato skin will break, showing some of the white flesh, but the potato should still more or less retain its round shape. Drizzle 1/4 cup of olive oil over the potatoes, season generously with salt and pepper, and return them to the oven. Roast until they are browned on the bottom, about 25 minutes, then remove them from the oven and turn them over with a large spatula. Drizzle another 1/4 cup oil over the potatoes and return to the oven. Roast until brown on the second side, about 25 minutes more, then remove the pan from the oven. Scatter oregano and garlic over the surface, season again with salt and pepper, and drizzle them with the remaining 1 T oil. Toss potatoes to distribute seasonings, then return to oven for 5 more minutes.
3 lbs. potatoes
3 cups half and half
3 cloves garlic, smashed
Salt and pepper to taste
Jarlsberg cheese, optional
Wash and slice potatoes in Cuisinart. Place in pot with remaining ingredients on
top of stove. Bring to boil, stirring frequently to avoid scorching. Pour into 8
X 11 oblong pan. Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes, until bubbly and brown and
potatoes are tender. May be sprinkled with cheese of choice toward end of
baking, but not necessary. Cool for approximately 10 minutes to set. Serve warm.
Makes great leftovers!
- 2 pounds new potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
1. Scrub the potatoes with a vegetable brush to clean; leave whole. Place in a steamer basket set over a pan of water at a low boil, cover and steam until just tender, about 25 minutes.
2. Remove potatoes from steamer and cool. The recipe can be made a day in advance to this point. Cover cooled potatoes and refrigerate.
3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Put potatoes in a bowl and toss with olive oil, paprika, ½ teaspoon kosher salt and pepper. When potatoes are evenly coated, use the bottom of a small pan to lightly smash. Arrange in a baking dish and roast in oven 20 minutes. Drizzle with melted butter and sprinkle top with remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and Romano. Continue roasting 5 minutes.
Data per serving:
Saturated fat 3.43g
Monounsaturated fat 3.71g
Polyunsaturated fat 0.58g