1 cup chopped fresh cilantro, including tender stems
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 T lime juice
1 large red chile, seeded and finely minced
1 T fish sauce
1 tsp superfine sugar
freshly ground pepper
Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. The relish is best served within 1-2 hours.
Makes 1 cup.
The sauce can be made up to a day ahead of time and refrigerated in an airtight container. If chilled, let the sauce come to room temperature before serving.
||medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 4 teaspoons)
||teaspoons kosher salt
||cup olive oil
||teaspoon ground cumin
||cup distilled white vinegar
||cup fresh orange juice from 1 to 2 oranges
||teaspoon dried oregano
||teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place minced garlic on cutting board and sprinkle with kosher salt. Using flat side of chef’s knife, drag garlic and salt back and forth across cutting board in small circular motions until garlic is ground into smooth paste.
- Heat olive oil in medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add garlic paste and cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Remove pan from heat and whisk in remaining ingredients. Transfer to bowl and cool to room temperature. Whisk sauce to recombine before serving.
Makes 2 – 2 1/2 cups.
For an even hotter sauce, add 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
||tablespoons unsalted butter
||small onion , chopped
||medium cloves garlic , minced
||tablespoon ground black pepper
||medium lemon , juiced to yield 1/4 cup juice
||teaspoon dry mustard
||teaspoon hot pepper sauce
||teaspoon table salt
||(4-ounce) can green chiles , mild
||cup cider vinegar
||(15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- Heat butter in a medium saucepan. Add onions and garlic; sauté until onions soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in next 7 ingredients; cook over medium heat to blend flavors, about 5 minutes. Add vinegar and tomato sauce; bring to simmer. Simmer uncovered until sauce thickens slightly, about 15 minutes. Serve.
Made this once and it was good. The recipe could be customized in many ways. One could also use aged chiles (add some white vinegar and let ferment for 3-6 months).
- About 12 red hot chiles (plus or minus the amount and variety depending on desired heat and color.)
- 1-3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup vinegar (apple cider or distilled white)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
In a small nonreactive saucepan boil the chiles (if using fresh) and garlic in the vinegar until tender. Place in a blender with the salt and sugar and puree. Run through a metal sieve if necessary. Dilute this paste with more vinegar if desired.
This can be served with italian-style sausage, if desired. A short, sturdy pasta like rigatoni, rotini or penne is the best choice for this chunky sauce. NOTE: This recipe takes ~2 1/2 hours.
- 1 medium eggplant (~1 lb), trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin oil oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 10 oz rigatoni (~4 cups)
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Toss eggplant with olive oil. Scatter onion over the eggplant and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake for ~45 minutes, stirring twice to prevent edges from browning.
- While the eggplant is baking, combine garlic, herbs, salt, red pepper, bay leaves, white wine, and diced tomatoes in a medium bowl.
- After the eggplant has roasted for 45 minutes, remove it from the oven and stir in the tomato mixture. Reduce oven to 350F, cover the roasting pan with aluminum foil, and roast for another 1 1/2 hours until the eggplant is very tender.
- Remove the sauce from the oven, stir in capers, remove bay leaves, and let cool uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Toss with pasta and serve, with Parmesan, if desired.
1 1/2 c apple cider vinegar
1/2 c ketchup
1 T brown sugar
1 t salt
1/2 crushed red pepper
whisk everything together. More or less of each ingredient can be added to taste.