For seven 6-oz containers
For the yogurt starter I buy a container of plain yogurt, portion it out in ice cube trays, freeze and save for when making yogurt.
1. Remove 2 frozen yogurt cubes and let thaw at room temperature while getting everything going. One can also microwave on low power to thaw, do not heat at high temperture or the culture could die.
2. Heat 4 cups of milk to 185 degrees over medium heat, whisking frequently to prevent scalding.
3. At 185 degrees, remove from heat and add 1/3 cup dry milk, about 3 T white sugar or other sweetener to taste, and 1 tsp vanilla. Whisk well to combine.
4. Let sit until the temperature is between 95-105 degrees.
5. Add the yogurt culture and whisk well. Pour into yogurt containers and let incubate for 6-9 hours.
6. Refrigerate and enjoy!