- 2 cups rolled oats (not quick oats)
- 1⁄2 cup toasted and chopped walnut pieces
- 1⁄3 cup natural cane sugar or maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 2 cups Organic Valley Omega-3 Milk
- 1 large Organic Valley egg
- 3 tablespoons Organic Valley unsalted butter, slightly melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups huckleberries, blueberries, or mixed berries (great with late summer raspberries!)
- Preheat the oven to 375F with a rack in the top third of the oven. Generously butter the inside of an 8-inch square baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix together the oats, half the walnuts, the sugar if using, the baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, if using, the milk, egg, half of the butter, and the vanilla.
- Arrange the bananas in a single layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle two-thirds of the berries over the top. Cover the fruit with the oat mixture. Slowly drizzle the milk mixture over the oats. Gently give the baking dish a couple thwacks on the countertop to make sure the milk moves through the oats. Scatter the remaining berries and remaining walnuts across the top.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the top is nicely golden and the oat mixture has set. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Drizzle the remaining melted butter on the top and serve. Sprinkle with a bit more sugar or drizzle with maple syrup if you want it a bit sweeter. We added milk to our bowls of oatmeal too.